To be eligible for the program, an individual must:
- Be in Australia
- Not have vocational English or above as outlined in the Vocational English Specification under the Act
- Comply with registration, commencement and completion time limits if their Visa Commencement Date (VCD) is after 1 October 2020, noting extensions may apply (see 2.2 Time limits and 2.3 Extension to time limits)
- Meet at least one of the following:
- Hold a permanent visa
- Hold an eligible temporary visa as specified in the Temporary Visa Classes Instrument.
- Have previously held a permanent entry permit or permanent visa and have become an Australian citizen
- If the individual is aged under 18 years, have at least one parent who has held or holds a permanent entry permit or a permanent visa.